The Zayas Law Fund for Arts and Education
The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving is pleased to announce that it is accepting applications for grants through the Zayas Law Fund for Arts and Education.
In December 2020, the Zayas Law Fund for Arts and Education, a donor-advised fund, was established at the Foundation with a $200,000 gift by Attorney Richard Zayas the founder of the Zayas Law Firm. Since 2020, the Fund supported 21 projects supporting youth involved in arts and cultural programming totaling $39,809. For 2023, the projected allocation to grant out in the community is $22,000.
The fund supports arts and cultural youth activities involving the visual and performing arts; painting, sculpture, music, theater, literature or innovation in the creative and cultural sectors. Community-based organizations, civic associations, volunteer groups and public agencies are invited to submit proposals for grants of $250 and up for projects that will allow (K – 12) students attending public schools in the Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven regions who may lack the resources to engage in these vital activities.
- Applicants may be a student, parent, family member, teacher or community leader. If approved, the award will be coordinated through a qualified entity
- Applicants may be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, however, 509(a)(3) charities and private foundations are not eligible
- Organizations that are not a 501(c)(3) charity may use a fiscal sponsor
- Requests must be $250 and above
- Zayas Awards are considered annually in June and awarded in July
- There is no guarantee for funding and requests may receive only partial funding
- A report by the student and/or fiscal sponsor is required within a year of funding. Photos are encouraged.
Application Process & Timeline
Applicants can submit a funding request by using the online form, which can be toggled between English and Spanish by clicking the language option in the top right-hand corner. Alternatively, applicants can fill out a Word document version of the application, which is available in both Spanish and English as well. Organizations applying are required to submit a project budget, and 2023-24 program budget. Please email the completed application and/or budget attachments to DonorAdvised@hfpg.org no later than Monday, May 1, 2023, for consideration. You will be notified of a decision within five weeks of submission.
- Online Application Form: https://forms.office.com/r/wcCmVFqkna
- Word Version English: https://hfpg.org/Zayas_Application_English
- Word Version Spanish: https://hfpg.org/Zayas_Application_Spanish