Every year, thousands of Americans die in motorcycle accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately ¾ of motorcycle accidents involve collisions with another vehicle, typically a passenger car.
Fortunately, whether you are a biker or a motorist, there are preventative measures you can take to avoid motorcycle accidents.
The following are safety tips for drivers to prevent motorcycle crashes:
- Check your blind spots constantly. Since motorcycles are much smaller than your average vehicle, they can easily enter your blind spots without notice. Make sure your head is constantly on a swivel, especially when you are about to change lanes.
- Look before making a left turn. Almost half of all motorcycle crashes involving other vehicles were caused by a car attempting to turn left while the biker when straight. Make sure you make eye contact with the motorcyclist before turning that direction.
- Do not tailgate. If you are behind a motorcycle, make sure you have at least a four-second cushion between your vehicle and the motorcycle. If an unexpected situation occurs on the road, you will have enough time to react accordingly.
The following are traffic safety tips for motorcyclists:
- Wear a helmet. The use of a safety helmet is the single most important factor in the prevention of head injury. Unfortunately, approximately 50% of motorcyclists use safety helmets. Also wear other safety gear, such body armor, leathers, gloves, and riding boots.
- Be visible. Not only does it mean wear reflective clothing, but ensure that other motorists around you know of your presence. Always have your headlight on and anticipate the actions and behaviors of other drivers on the road.
- Maintain your motorcycle. Get your bike regularly checked to ensure all parts are in sufficient, working order. Change the oil whenever necessary and rotate the tires if they are out of alignment. Furthermore, if you notice a strange noise or experience steering issues, you must see a mechanic.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Connecticut caused by a negligent party, contact Zayas Law Firm today.