Skip to Content
cop car lights

When you are involved in a car accident in Connecticut, there are certain steps you need to take to protect your rights and best interests in regard to filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Whether you were injured or only your vehicle sustained damage, you may be wondering if you are required to contact law enforcement officials at the scene of the crash. 

According to the Connecticut Motor Vehicle Laws, it is mandatory to report all motor vehicle accidents to the police. When the officers arrive on the scene, they will ask you questions about the collision, so make sure you cooperate with them, as well as exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. 

Furthermore, a police report on file is another piece of evidence you may use to prove your claim. A police report contains detailed, unbiased notes about what law enforcement officials believe led to the crash, the position of each vehicle involved, the damage each vehicle sustained, and other forms of evidence, such as witness statements. 

You may request a copy of the police report for a fee. While simple accident reports will be available online after ten (10) business days, certified copies of police reports, investigative reports, and accidents otherwise not available online must be requested via mail or by mailing a completed request form DPS-96-C “Request for Copy of Report.” 

Mail the completed form to the following address: 

Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection 
Division of State Police 
Reports and Records 
1111 Country Club Road 
Middletown, CT 06457 

If you were recently injured in a car accident in Hartford, contact Zayas Law Firm today at (860) 854-9156 for a free initial consultation. Serving Connecticut since 1990. 

Share To: